Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday Random Notes

Just out of curiosity, I was checking out some marathon and half-marathon training schedules on Hal Higdon's website.  I was surprised to see that the longest of the long runs for the marathon was 20 miles, instead of 26 miles or longer. My only training experience so far has been 5k/10k training, and the long runs exceed the race distances. So, I just figured that it was similar for longer distances as well. I could see myself feeling a bit apprehensive on race day if it's my first time to ever run the race distance.

But, anyway I was looking at his half-marathon schedule and I realized that I may be just about ready for something like that. So now I'm thinking maybe I might try a half-marathon early next year.

And for some motivation...
I've got a couple of new running movies coming from Amazon!

"Spirit of the Marathon"

















"Ultramarathon Man: 50 Marathons - 50 States - 50 Days"


















Can't wait to see these. I've seen some excerpts here and there. I expect these will be some good motivators. 
 

2 comments:

  1. The reason I was told why the long runs don't go past 20 miles is because that is around the point where your body can recover quickly. Anything beyond that and your body takes so long to recover you lose the ability or benefit from running later that week. While I understand this, I am not so sure. There are a lot of marathoners that run that distance often..... even multiple days in a row. Now I understand these are the exception, and that may be why the schedules only take runners to 20 miles..... because those that follow these plans are usually not the exception :)

    Last year when I ran my first I went a little bit past to a 21 mile mark. I was going to take myself all the way to 23 on a later run, but fell apart on that run at mile 20/21. I then didn't have time. During the marathon I hit the wall at about mile 21.... coincidence????? Not sure.

    This year I am not fully decided what I will do yet. I may sneak it up a couple miles again like I planned last year..... we will see.

    As for the movies, Spirit of the Marathon is a great movie. I saw it in the theater when it was making it's rounds a couple years ago. (you will hate to hear that it is available for free on Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/watch/85354/spirit-of-the-marathon)

    As for the UltraMarathon Man. I have it, just haven't had time to watch it yet. I have started to read Dean's book 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 and really am enjoying it. Let us know how the movie is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on the 20-mile training, and also for the hulu link (glad I only paid about $11 for the free movie). I watched Spirit of the Marathon last night, and it was great. Very inspiring, to say the least. They talked about the 20mi training run, and mentioned something about that distance being related the limit of what the body can store.

    ReplyDelete