Saturday, July 17, 2010

Long Run

Well, long for me anyways.

I went for a 5 mile run this morning.  I decided to wear my heart monitor and let my heart rate dictate my pace.  I started out at what felt like a pretty easy pace - about 10:30.  I made it about 2 miles before my Garmin started alerting me to slow down.  I cut my pace back to about 11, then to 11:30, and so on for the rest of the run.  By mile 4.5, I was running so slow that I think I could have been past by walkers.  My pace was about 14 - 14:20.  Overall, my average pace for the run was 12:37. I was really surprised by how slow I needed to go to keep my heart rate in the aerobic training zone.

Here's my heart rate chart for the run:









Zone 3 is my aerobic training zone.  Garmin reported an average heart rate right at 3.5, right in the middle of zone 3.

I feel alot different after this run that I usually feel after my long runs.  I feel like I exercised, but I don't feel as beat down as usual.  I feel pretty good.

I also found that I lost about 2.5lbs of weight during the run.  Time to go drink some water!

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the long run, and nice job using the heart rate feedback to set your pace. I've never tried using the heart monitor to control my pace, but would be interested to see what it tells me. After a few runs wearing it the novelty wore off and I haven't used it in a few months. Time to dust it off and see what it has to say.

    Also great that the long runs are getting easier. That's a GREAT sign.

    ReplyDelete