Monday, May 16, 2011

San Fran trip and weekly training update (Marathon Training - Week 2 of 30)

Last week I traveled to San Francisco for work. So, I got to do two of last week's training runs in San Fran. On Thursday I did a 3 mile run, and then on Saturday I did a 4 mile run. Both runs were along the Embarcadero, which follows the water front around part of San Fran. It's a popular place to run. Both days there were so many runners that it almost felt like I was running in a race. I'm definitely not used to being around so many other runners, it was great! The weather was also great - 50's and 60's and sunny. Pretty cool way to wrap up my first official week of marathon training!

A few observations about running in SF:

  • There are alot of runners!
  • My Garmin takes alot longer to find satellites in SF - several minutes compared to several seconds back home.
  • SF runners don't do the nod/wave to oncoming runners very often (it seems almost expected back home). 
  • SF would be a great place to do hill work - there are some insane hills!
  • There's plenty of room for foot traffic across the Golden Gate bridge, so next visit I will try to plan a run across and back. But BYOB - when I arrived at 5:30pm on a weekday, the only place that sells water and other drinks was already closed.
  • One disappointment was that I missed the B2B race by one day. I didn't find out about it until I was in SF, and by then it really was too late to change my travel plans. 

This week I'm back home. I enjoy traveling, but it's nice to get back to my family. Here's my training plan for this week:

  • Monday - scheduled rest
  • Tuesday - 3 mile run
  • Wednesday - 3 mile run
  • Thursday - 3 mile run
  • Friday - scheduled rest
  • Saturday - 4.5 mile run
  • Sunday - 1 hour walking

No comments:

Post a Comment