Monday, May 9, 2011

Quick Race Recap and training update (Marathon Training - Week 1 of 30)

Just taking a few minutes to write a short post about Saturday's race. According to my Garmin, my finish time was 28:25. Not the time I wish it was, but all things considered it's not bad. I only managed to hit one of my three goals, but better than meeting none of them. At the very least, it's good to have beaten last year's time. So even though I was slacking for a while, at least I'm doing better than this time last year.

Also - so much for rolling with no training plan. Starting this week, I'm back on a program. I'm planning to run my first full marathon in December, so as of this week my focus is on that goal. I found an 18 week training plan (Hal Higdon's Novice II), stretched the first six weeks, tacked on a bit to the beginning to match where I'm at, and ended up with a 32 week training schedule. Basically, I'll be running short-intermediate distances Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then a long run on Saturday. Sunday is cross-training day. Hal suggests swimming, cycling, or walking. I don't have access to a pool, and my bike is old and in pretty rough shape (plus cycling around here doesn't seem like the safest thing to do), so for now I will do about an hour of walking on Sundays. Monday and Friday are rest days.

That's it for now. Got a run in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment