Monday, October 24, 2011

Marathon Training - Week 25 of 30

"25"Image by Lincolnian (Brian) via Flickr
I'm training for my first marathon, which will be the White Rock Marathon in Dallas on December 4, 2011. My training week runs from Monday to Sunday. Today is Monday, which means the beginning of a new training week!


Week 24 Review:
  • Monday: Schedule rest - completed
  • Tuesday: 5mi run - completed
  • Wednesday: 8mi pace run - completed
  • Thursday: 5mi run - completed
  • Friday: Scheduled rest - completed
  • Saturday: 13.1 Dallas Half Marathon - completed
  • Sunday: Cross-training - skipped

The highlights of last week were the 8mi pace run on Wednesday and the half marathon on Saturday. The 8mi pace run went well. It was the last one on my training schedule, so I really wanted to give it my best effort.

The half marathon on Saturday went pretty well also. Most of the race I was torn between pushing my pace and holding back because it was supposed to be a training run, not a race. I was actually on pace to match my PR for about the first 8 miles. I started feeling fatigue set in and started slowing down around mile 9 or 10. Then around mile 11 I started getting more tightness in my patellar tendons. It's pretty painful when it happens, but fortunately I can make it go away if I just stop and stretch. I had to do that about three or four times the last few miles, which really killed my momentum and my pace. The result was a 2:14:27, about 14 or 15 seconds slower than the half I ran last December. I'm okay with that, because I know that I was much more rested for that run (plus it was about 30 degrees colder that day!).

On Sunday afternoon while mowing my yard my left foot/ankle started hurting. It was so bad that I could barely walk on it. It's a hard pain to locate - sort of stretches along the outside of my left foot up over my ankle bone. I decided to rest instead of doing my cycling. I'm hoping this is a very temporary pain and it goes away soon. This isn't what I need with a 19mi run coming up.

Week 25
(week 13 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program)

Wow, week 25 of 30. It's really starting to feel close now.

This week is a bit off. I'm supposed to do three 5mi runs and a 19mi long run. One of the 5mi runs will be skipped due to the left foot/ankle pain. Hopefully I'll be good to go for the other two. My main goal is to be 100% for the long run on Saturday, which is the most important run on my schedule this week.

Speaking of the 19mi run, I decided to make it fun by doing another half marathon this Saturday. My plan is to show up early and do 6mi on my own before the race. Then my final 13mi will be the half marathon. It will be nice having aid stations and lots of other runners to keep me company for those last 13 miles. Plus I get another medal!

Okay, so in summary, here's what's on this week's schedule:
  • Monday: Schedule rest
  • Tuesday: 5mi run (I'll most likely skip)
  • Wednesday: 5mi pace run (probably make this an easy pace instead of race pace)
  • Thursday: 5mi run
  • Friday: Scheduled rest
  • Saturday: 19mi long run (the combined 6mi run and half marathon)
  • Sunday: Cross-training

Have a great week!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment