Sunday, October 16, 2011

Marathon Training - Week 24 of 30

Number 24Image by castle79 via Flickr
I'm training for my first marathon, which will be the White Rock Marathon in Dallas on December 4, 2011. My training week runs from Monday to Sunday. Tomorrow is Monday, which means the beginning of a new training week!


Week 23 Review:
  • Monday: Schedule rest - completed
  • Tuesday: 5mi run - completed
  • Wednesday: 8mi run - completed
  • Thursday: 5mi run - missed
  • Friday: Scheduled rest - completed
  • Saturday: 18mi long run - completed
  • Sunday: Cross-training - 1hr cycling

What a week last week. I was fighting a cold all week that had my energy level much lower than usual. I also continued to have some lingering pain in my right ankle. The ankle pain was the main reason for skipping Thursday's run. Missing Saturday's 18mi run would have been a much bigger deal than missing Thursday's 5 miler, so I decided to give my ankle an extra day of rest on Thursday so that I could (hopefully) be ready for Saturday's long run.

By Saturday morning my ankle was still a bit sore, but not too bad. The 18mi run was yet another distance PR. And it was also yet another really challenging run. I seem to really be struggling once I hit about 15.5 or 16 miles. It's about that point where my mid section starts to hurt. I'm not sure what to think about that. It's happened two weeks in a row now. My best guess is that it might have something to do with my gatorade/gel consumption, so I'm just going to continue to try to adjust it a bit and see if it helps. I may need to mix more straight water in with the gatorade. Not sure at this point.

This week I also experienced some familiar tightness in my patellar tendons. I had the same issues with my patellar tendons last year while training for my first half - it would usually happen during long runs of 8 miles or more, which were new distances for me. I learned I could just stop and stretch them and the pain would immediately go away. So I had to do that at least a few times from mile 15 to the end of the run. If things go like last year, then the patellar tendon issues will go away as I get more experience at these longer distances.

So, overall I think it was a pretty good week despite some health issues that threw me a curve ball or two. It sure feels good to have completed my first 18 mile run.

Okay, enough about last week.

Week 24
(week 12 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program)

I finally get to do a race this week! This Saturday I'm running 13.1 Dallas as my 13 mile training run. I haven't raced since June, so I can't wait for Saturday. Even though I'm treating this as a training run rather than a race, it will still be great to be out and running in a race event.

So this week is a step-back week, as I get a break from the 15+ mile long runs this week. I never thought I'd look at a 13 mile run as a break, but that's what it is at this point. I also have my last 8mi pace run of the training schedule this week. After this week, wednesdays start to taper.

In summary, here's what's on this week's schedule:
  • Monday: Schedule rest
  • Tuesday: 5mi run
  • Wednesday: 8mi pace run
  • Thursday: 5mi run
  • Friday: Scheduled rest
  • Saturday: 13.1 Dallas half marathon
  • Sunday: Cross-training

Have a great week!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment