Monday, July 4, 2011

Marathon Training - Week 9 of 30

Pewter Number 9Image by Leo Reynolds via Flickr
I'm training for my first marathon, which will be the White Rock Marathon in Dallas on December 4, 2011. My training week runs from Monday to Sunday. Today is Monday, which means the beginning of a new training week!

First, a quick review of last week (week 8):

  • Monday - scheduled rest - completed
  • Tuesday - 3 mile run - completed
  • Wednesday - 5 mile run - completed
  • Thursday - 3 mile run - completed
  • Friday - scheduled rest - completed
  • Saturday - 9 mile run - completed
  • Sunday - 1 hour walking - completed


So training was great last week. Which is a surprise considering what an otherwise lousy week I had. There were a couple of bright spots, but there were some really low spots last week too. Running was very therapeutic for me last week


Most of the highs and lows were too personal to write about here. But I'll say that one bright spot was that I think I've finally figured out what was causing the tendon pain in my right leg the last few weeks. I've added some stretching before my runs, which seems to have helped. Forget what you've read about stretching before running being unnecessary. I can tell you that for me, it's a good thing.


Now on to this week - Week 9.

This week is a step-back week. The first 8 weeks have been a steady climb in terms of weekly miles and long-run miles, with the only exception being a 5k race during week 4. For the next few months, my training looks like a series of hills - two weeks of increased miles followed by a step-back week. The chart below shows my weekly mile totals, the chart for the long runs follows a similar pattern (also - the red is what I've done so far, the blue is what's ahead):



  

The idea is to give yourself some mental and physical breaks every few weeks to prevent injury and burn-out.

So, here's what's on the schedule for this week:

  • Monday - scheduled rest
  • Tuesday - 3 mile run
  • Wednesday - 5 mile pace run
  • Thursday - 3 mile run
  • Friday - scheduled rest
  • Saturday - 6.5 mile run
  • Sunday - 1 hour walking

Have a great week!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment