Monday, July 11, 2011

Marathon Training - Week 10 of 30


I'm training for my first marathon, which will be the White Rock Marathon in Dallas on December 4, 2011. My training week runs from Monday to Sunday. Today is Monday, which means the beginning of a new training week!


First, a quick review of last week (week 9):

  • Monday - scheduled rest - completed
  • Tuesday - 3 mile run - completed
  • Wednesday - 5 mile pace run - completed
  • Thursday - 3 mile run - completed
  • Friday - scheduled rest - completed
  • Saturday - 6.5 mile run - completed
  • Sunday - 1 hour walking - completed

Week 9 was a cut-back week, so I got a bit of a break for my Saturday "long" run. Overall, week 9 was another good week. I found myself pushing my pace a bit too much because of the reduced mileage. Not alot, just here and there. It's a good confidence boost to run a bit faster now and then, especially with the temperatures we've been having lately. I run early, usually starting around sunrise (close to 6am). Lately it's been in the mid 80's as I start my run. Not exactly ideal, but I feel pretty good that I'm still able to keep a decent pace in the heat.  Fortunately it will be much cooler when my marathon rolls around in December.



Now on to this week - Week 10.Wow! As I wrote that, it occurred to me that I'll already be 1/3 of the way through this training session by the end of this week. Time is flyin'!So last week was a cut-back week, but this week is a "the party's over, time to get to work" week. Every run gets longer this week. Goodbye, 3-mile runs! Tuesday/Thursday runs get bumped up by .5 miles, Wednesday runs get bumped up a mile, and my long run on Saturday continues the climb from where I left off at the end of week 8 - hello double-digit runs, it's been a while!I think the cut-back week was good for me physically as well as mentally. Having a bit of a break has really left me feeling ready to get back to some challenging runs. So I'm really feeling ready to take on the longer runs I have on the schedule this week. Here's this week's schedule:


  • Monday - scheduled rest
  • Tuesday - 3.5 mile run
  • Wednesday - 6 mile pace run
  • Thursday - 3.5 mile run
  • Friday - scheduled rest
  • Saturday - 10 mile run
  • Sunday - 1 hour walking

Have a great week!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment